Monday, November 15, 2010

Looking for Chihuly

Kalamazoo Ruby Light Chandelier
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts has a chandelier by Dale Chihuly, and a few years go hosted an exhibit of his glass works. It was spectacular! The pieces were so amazing. We took lots of photos when we visited; here are just two.

The is a permanent exhibit at the KIA - a magnificent chandelier that hangs at the entrance.

Mille Fiori V
The Mille Fiori V is one of my favorite pieces from that exhibition. (I think my very favorite was the red boat, but we really didn't get a good picture of that one.) For me, it evokes a remarkable image of grasses by the shore.

If you're curious, here's a link to our photos from that exhibit: Chihuly in Kalamazoo. There's even a photo of a museum curator dusting the Mille Fiori, very carefully!



Yellow Boat


This past May, we were able to see more Chihuly - this time, at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, in Grand Rapids. Again, the pieces were astounding. So full of drama, and larger-than-life. There was another boat piece (this time, actually floating in water).







Citron Green and Red Tower
Here is a tower, and a close-up. I think about how many pieces were used to create this, and I am astonished by the patience required. (You would think a knitter would be patient, but this amazes me.)

(I originally had two detail shots - but I'm struggling to get these pictures intermingled nicely with the text - so I'm leaving it at one...!)



















Detail: Joslyn Art Museum Window
In Omaha, at the Joslyn Art Museum, what did we find? More Chihuly!

This is a close-up from the installation in the 50-foot-high atrium. In Chihuly's words, "over two thousand handblown parts create a monumental window of color and form. (See here.)







2 comments:

  1. We saw some at the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning New York a few years ago. Awesome stuff. And nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a chandelier like that hanging in the entrance of the Victoria and Albert museum in London. I wonder if it's by Chihuly, too.

    And yes, I agree with Dad--lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete