Sunday, April 7, 2013

General Conference Weekend

This was conference weekend for our church. I was able to watch all the sessions of conference - two on Saturday, two on Sunday.

When my family was baptized (back in '67), the only conference we could watch was one session, carried on Pittsburgh's PBS station. (I remember that when I was in college, the only session that was carried on TV was at 5 in the morning - yikes.) We would have to wait for the conference issue of the church magazine to read all the talks (and I think that was months later - maybe June for the April conference?). Later (maybe in the 80's?), I remember going to the church building, where the talks were carried on some radio band that we could listen to. Still later, we were finally able to watch all of conference, again at church.

Now, we can watch here at home, via satellite TV or the Internet. Video of the talks is available for viewing almost as soon as each session finishes, on the church's website here. I've already downloaded many of the talks to my iPod. The text will be available in just a couple days, on the website.

It's really quite remarkable. But I like best watching it live, and am always happiest when I can do that. I sit down with my knitting and my notebook, and take in as much as I can. I used to take copious notes, but now, knowing that everything will be available to read and study within days, I try to jot down feelings and impressions that are specific to me and to my family - changes I should make, particular talks I should study, specific principles I should focus on, things like that.

So now, Sunday evening, I'm feeling rather overwhelmed. I just read through my jottings, and there's a lot there! Plenty to keep me busy for the next six months, until October's general conference. The challenge, for me at least, is to keep the messages in mind, to study and ponder them in the weeks and months to come. I'll try to share some thoughts as I go along.

Here are remarks from President Monson, from his closing message.
As this conference now concludes, I invoke the blessings of heaven upon each of you. May your homes be filled with peace, harmony, courtesy and love. May they be filled with the Spirit of the Lord. May you nurture and nourish your testimonies of the gospel, that they will be a protection to you against the buffetings of Satan.

Until we meet again in six months, I pray that the Lord will bless and keep you, my brothers and sisters. May His promised peace be with you now and always.
And, of course, a few photos from our conference weekend.

Bonnie and I had lots of time for walks (that's what Bonnie likes about conference weekend, I think). We saw signs of spring, with new growth appearing. I saw lots of daffodils-to-be; can't wait for those to start blooming!

Not sure what these are - but they are green and lovely!

Bonnie mostly slept through conference.




I knit. (Jim just watched; I think he should learn to knit, too.) This is the sweater I'm knitting for afghans for Afghans. I didn't quite finish the front this weekend - I am a slow knitter, and I did keep stopping to make conference notes - but I'm pleased with how it's coming along. It needs to be finished by early summer - which is also when a certain baby blanket needs to be finished - so I need to focus on these two projects, and probably let my shawl sit in time out for a bit.


This color, by the way, is not accurate - the blue is really much deeper, and there are flecks of green throughout. It is a beautiful color, much nicer than this would make you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment