Saturday, March 19, 2022

War Poetry

Back on February 25 - right after Russia attacked Ukraine - I attended an online poetry workshop, hosted by Pádraig Ó Tuama. It was called "Poetry Lab: Exploring Conflict Intelligence Through the Lens of a Single Poem," but on this occasion, Pádraig focused instead on war poetry, as a way to put language around powerlessness.

In my notes, I have four items listed regarding war poetry (which probably sounded more coherent coming from Pádraig, but this is what I have to offer):

  1. A lament
  2. Clear-eyed about death
  3. Bears witness - raises up a small voice
  4. Holds out hope for anthropological change

He shared three poems, which I've linked to here:

One of the participants observed that these three poems teach that we must speak up against war; that speaking up doesn't help; and that the earth will remember, regardless.

Kaminsky's poem circulated widely on social media, in the first days of the Ukraine war. A few lines:

And when they bombed other people’s houses, we

protested
but not enough, we opposed them but not

enough. 

Carruth's poem declares that writing poems about war doesn't change a thing:

but death went on and on
never looking aside

except now and then
with a furtive half-smile
to make sure I was noticing.

Finally, Eckermann's poem bluntly states:

Wildflowers will not grow
where the bone powder
lies
I think that all the poems speak truth, but I hope that someday Carruth will be wrong, that we will recognize the futility of war, that it solves nothing.

(I've been reading Proclaim Peace, by Patrick Q Mason and J David Pulsipher, and find it informing my thinking on this.)



Deer behaving peacefully

No comments:

Post a Comment