Thursday, July 21, 2011

East and West

Kalamazoo lies between two large cities: Detroit to the east, and Chicago to the west. We often visit one or the other, and this past week, we visited both.

Flowers at the Chicago Temple

On Saturday, I traveled to the Chicago Temple. This was to have been a pleasant trip with my husband, and we were both looking forward to getting away together, and enjoying time in the temple together.

But it was not to be. At the last minute, Jim was asked to assist in the memorial service for a fellow Boy Scout leader. We decided that he would attend the service, and I would go to the temple.

With the late notice, I ended up traveling alone. My trip was uneventful (no traffic jams, hurrah!), and I enjoyed my session in the temple. I appreciate the calm there, and the opportunity to put things in their proper (eternal) perspective.

Afterwards,  I made the briefest of stops at Trader Joe's, and headed home. I was back in Kalamazoo early enough that Jim & I went out to eat dinner at the Main Street Pub. They even had red velvet cake, so we shared a piece. (The blogger in me finally remembered to take a picture!)

Yummy!

On Tuesday, Jim and I traveled in the other direction, to attend a Tigers baseball game. We had a great time. It was hot, but we had terrace seats, in the shade, and high enough to catch a bit of a breeze. We enjoyed hot dogs & pizza & pop & water for dinner (yes, we took out a loan). We saw some good ball-playing and some lame ball-playing. The Tigers won, and I did some knitting. What more could you ask for?

Big cats guarding the stadium

1 comment: