Monday, June 10, 2013

Another Talk and Another Blanket

I'll start with the fun stuff, another knitted blanket:


I knit this for my niece & nephew, Sarah & Adam - well, really for their soon-to-be-born second boy. It's an easy knit, but I was worried - it seemed rather rough around the edges, and refused to lie flat or behave at all. But once I washed it, gently shaping and smoothing it, it turned into this loveliness. It's superwash wool, but only a sport weight, so I think it will be a nice blanket for warmer weather. (At least, that's what I'm hoping.)

On Sunday, I got to speak again at church. (Having spoken twice in five weeks - in stake conference and now in our sacrament meeting - I figure I am safe from being asked again for Quite Some Time.)

My topic was "How service & love help us be steadfast and immovable." I won't drive away my readers by posting the whole talk, but here are just a few quotes that I think are worth reading.

Elder David A. Bednar wrote
[A] person who is steadfast and immovable is solid, firm, resolute, firmly secured, and incapable of being diverted from a primary purpose or mission.

. . . If you and I desire to become steadfast and immovable disciples of the Master, we must build appropriately and effectively upon [Christ] as our foundation.
(“Steadfast and Immovable, Always Abounding in Good Works,” New Era, January 2008)
Building upon Christ as our foundation suggests that we learn of him and rely on him and follow his example. I think of his answering the question, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?" (Matthew 22:36-39)
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
First we are to love God, and then we are to love those around us. If Christ is our foundation, then the foundation commandment is love itself.

President Uchtdorf suggested that we learn how to love by “evaluating what motivates your thoughts and actions.”
When your primary thoughts are focused on how things will benefit you, your motivations may be selfish and shallow. That is not the language [of love] you want to learn.

But when your primary thoughts and behaviors are focused on serving God and others—when you truly desire to bless and lift up those around you—then the power of the pure love of Christ can work in your heart and life. That is the language you want to learn.
(“Your Wonderful Journey Home,” General Young Women Meeting, March 2013)
Finally, here is a promise from President Henry B. Eyring:
We are under covenant both to lift up those in need and to be witnesses of the Savior as long as we live.

We will be able to do it without fail only as we feel love for the Savior and His love for us. As we are faithful to the promises we have made, we will feel our love for Him. It will increase because we will feel His power and His drawing near to us in His service.
(April 2013 general conference, “Come Unto Me”)

. . . As you bind up the wounds of those in need and offer the cleansing of His Atonement to those who sorrow in sin, the Lord’s power will sustain you.
(my emphasis; "Come Unto Me," General Conference April 2013)
My conclusion: As we work to become steadfast and immovable, we seek out His sustaining power, by serving and loving in His kingdom.

If only it were as easy as it sounds!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the highlights of your talk! Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete