Thursday, November 24, 2011

Shedir Chemo Cap


Yesterday I finished my Shedir hat. I started this a few weeks ago, using a skein of Rowan Calmer that I've had for years. (I bought it at the Knitters' Mercantile, in Columbus Ohio, in 2006; I was just starting my second stint with National City Bank, and spent a week at the office there.)

With all those cables, I don't know why I thought this would be a quick knit! But, if not quick, it at least was not difficult. At the beginning of each round, I had to figure out that round's stitch sequence, but then it was pretty straightforward to repeat that sequence. I made a couple tweaks, where I thought maybe the pattern had typos, and a couple 'design elements,' where I inadvertently used the wrong stitch (nothing dire, of course).

The main part of the hat has eight rows that repeat 5 times. I was worried that I would run out of yarn, so I skipped one repeat. I think I would have had enough yarn after all, and I think the longer hat would have been better.


However, I think the hat is still wearable, and if the wearer has no hair, it may stretch down a tad further. This hat is a gift for a friend who's currently receiving chemotherapy, so the 'no hair' consideration may well apply.

Gretchen Rubin recently wrote a blog entry titled "Remember the Dog That Doesn't Bark." She refers to a Sherlock Holmes story, in which the great detective finds a clue in the fact that a dog didn't bark. Rubin's conclusion was that we should recognize, and find happiness in, the problems that aren't part of our lives: the job search we don't face; the car accident we haven't been in; the cancer we don't have.

Part of me winces at this idea; it doesn't seem right to link gratitude with such negative ideas. And yet, ubiquitous as cancer is, I am grateful that I am not facing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment